Cardiorespiratory physiotherapy is an area of physiotherapy that specialises in the prevention, rehabilitation, and compensation of clients with diseases and injuries in the heart and lungs. These conditions may manifest themselves as shortness of breath, persistent cough, increased work of breathing or the reduced ability to exercise.
Common cardiorespiratory conditions include:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Congestive Cardiac Failure (CCF)
- Respiratory Infections, i.e. Pneumonia
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Heart Attack (MI)
- Heart or lung injury or surgery
It is now widely recognised that appropriate exercise can be an effective disease prevention strategy and is integral to the management of those with a variety of cardiorespiratory conditions.
Our team will help you undertake a comprehensive assessment of your cardiorespiratory system, endurance and mobility and will then tailor a treatment program to your unique needs.
Depending on your condition, your physiotherapy treatment may include:
- Deep Breathing Exercise: to encourage increased lung volumes
- Hands-on Techniques and Breathing Facilitation Exercises: to expand your lung capacity
- Percussions and Vibrations: to help you loosen secretions and make coughing easier
- Coughing and Breathing Strategies: to help you cough and manage your shortness of breath
- Breathing and Circulation Exercises: to prevent further respiratory and vascular complications such as chest infection and deep venous thrombosis (DVTs)
- Mobility Assistance: to move safely in bed, sit up, stand and walk
- Mobility Aids: advice, prescription and instruction on how to safely use a walking frame, or other walking aids as required
- Individually Tailored Exercises: to control your breathing pattern, build muscle strength and endurance and improve your general health and wellbeing